Friday, July 9, 2010

Thursday, July 8, through Saturday, July 17, 2010: At Dover, Pennsylvania:
Thursday was a four-state day, as we left Virginia and traveled through West Virginia and Maryland on our way to Pennsylvania. All of that in only 120 miles. Dover is near Gettysburg. The RV park (Gettysburg Farm Outdoor World) is very nice and the sites are large and comfortable, but there is no pickle ball court. And there's plenty of grass. (Daisy loves to scratch her face in it, and it's very pretty.) We had a late lunch/early dinner on Thursday in nearby East Berlin at a place called Sidney. The restaurant wasn't open yet so we ate in the tap room. It was delicious and creatve. We will go back for dinner, I am sure.

Sunday we went to Gettysburg.

What a place. I've never seen so many monuments in my life. The biggest one on the battlefield is devoted to the 35,000 soldiers from Pennsylvania who fought there, listing them by Regiment, with Company, Rank, and individual name, with each Regiment set out in a separate bronze placque. Quite impressive.

On Monday, Becky rode her bike to York (20 miles away) and I picked her up there. We had to go there anyway, to pick up our mail. After lunch, we took a tour of the Harley-Davidson factory in York. The company headquarters, design studio, significant parts manufacturing, and historic museum are all located in or near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but most of their motorcycles are assembled in York; the rest are assembled in Kansas City. The tour is fascinating.

Most of what we saw of York is old and run down. It's pretty depressing. But we focused on the downtown (much of it historic) area. The Continental Congress met there (not in Philadelphia) at certain critical times, and the city claims that it was actually the first capital of the United States as the result. Who am I to disagree?

On Tuesday, Becky, Pat, and Pat's granddaughter, Hannah, who is visiting from Marshall, Michigan, went to Washington, DC to spend two days. Bill and I survived, doing very little. It's been very hot; occasionally over 100.

The girls came back Wednesday night. They had a great time in D.C.

On Thursday, we ventured out to the Snyders of Hanover pretzel company plant for a tour. It was like the Route 11 potato chip factory on steroids. It was at least 20 times as large. Man, do they spit out the pretzels. They make pretzels in about 15 different flavors. I didn't know that. They also make potato chips in various flavors---including the "Jays" brand, which I haven't seen since I left Chicago 55 years ago.

On Saturday, Pat and Becky went on a 23-mile bike ride from York to just over the Maryland state line, crossing the Mason-Dixon line in the process. They went on the paved "rails trails" path that follows railroad tracks all the way from York to Washington, D.C. I picked them up in New Freedom, Pennsylvania, just inside the border.

Alas, it's our last day in Pennsylvania, and we never got back to Sidney for a gourmet meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment