Friday, December 12, 2014

Thursday, December 11, through Wednesday, December 17, 2014: At Indian Waters:


It was only nine easy miles Thursday from Palm Desert to the Indian Waters RV Resort in Indio.  We left Thousand Trails at noon, because I had a doctor's appointment earlier in the day.  (It seems like all I do when we get to the desert is go to the doctor, but that will subside in a few days.)  We've been to Indian Waters before, and it's a nice park. 


We had to come here for a week to satisfy the silly rules of the Thousand Trails people.  We'll go back there next week for the rest of the winter.

We like this park for a number of reasons, one of which is that there's a nice dog park on the property where Ramsey and Kelsey can run off leash.  And the dog park is right across the street from where our rig is parked.


Another reason is that all the RV sites have concrete pads, meaning they don't get muddy if it rains.  There is an expectation that the Pineapple Express storms that are pounding northern California will be here starting tonight.

On the way to our assigned site, we passed by a small group of people enjoying the afternoon sun.  In the group were Robi and Jerry Sypkens, a couple we first met in 2006 while working at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  We have seen them several times since then, but not for the past two years.  Robi had a bad cold and shortly went back to bed, but we had fun catching up with Jerry.  (They left on Saturday for a stay in Parker, Arizona, on the Colorado River.)


Thursday night, Becky couldn't finish making dinner because we were suddenly out of propane.  At that time of day, there was no way to replenish either of our two tanks, so I dashed to Panda Express to pick up a substitute dinner, which was yummy, as usual.   I'm not sure yet, but there may be a malfunction in our propane delivery system and we may not have actually been out of propane.  I'll know more in a day or so.


If the storm hit us it was not apparent.  We had only a slight drizzle Thursday night and Friday morning, and nothing after that.  Yea!

Friday morning I went back to the doctor to finish what we started on Thursday, and got propane for one of our tanks on the way home.  I then went to Gold's Gym for my session with Kurt.  After hearing my life story, he decided that the thing I needed most at this time was to stretch.  I'm very stiff.  We spent the rest of the session twisting this and pulling on that.  By the end I had actually broken a sweat.  It felt good.  I'm due back next Tuesday.


On the way home, I stopped at the post office to pick up our mail and get the second propane tank filled.  It took less than a half gallon, so we weren't actually out of propane Thursday night.  I need to investigate.

Saturday was a day of general relaxation for me while Becky worked on Christmas cards.  I did exert myself and go to the post office in La Quinta (eight miles away) to mail a bunch of the cards and send some packages.  La Quinta's was the only post office in the area open in the afternoon and therefore it was quite crowded.  That evening, we went to a swap meet at the nearby Date Festival fairground. 


It was huge!  The only thing we bought was a silly birthday present for Becky's sister Kim. 

The highlight of Sunday was a late lunch at Pueblo Viejo, a wonderful nearby Mexican Restaurant.  We've not been eating out a lot lately, in honor of our waistlines, and this was a special treat.  I love Margaritas, but I know they're bad, so I only had two (doubles).


Early Monday afternoon, we stopped at a local Christmas tree lot and picked out a small tree, which we decorated as soon as we got back to our rig.  There's no room inside for a tree, of course, so it sits on our patio table.  We have a light-sensitive timer on it so it turns on at dusk and is lit up all night.

Tuesday morning, Valerie Masi, a local dog trainer, stopped by to give us some advice.  Ramsey has been a little rough lately, and we need to change that.  We walked both dogs around the RV park while Valerie observed and made some suggestions.  She obviously knows her stuff, and we will see her again after we have had a chance to implement  her advice.


We drove to Gold's Gym for my Tuesday stretch outing with Kurt.  Last Thursday, no one had told Peggy she had an appointment with me, so she didn't show up.  Tuesday, Kurt had forgotten to note our appointment in the book, so he didn't show up.  I am now scheduled for Wednesday.  We'll see. 

Tuesday afternoon, Becky left for Pasadena and her sister Kim's birthday.  All six Shelton children were together to celebrate Kim's 50th birthday at Oba Sushi Izakaya, in Pasaena.


I'll be in charge of the dogs, of course, and need to remember Valerie's suggestions.  The three of us had a quiet, uneventful evening.  I spent much of it listening to Bill O'Reilly's recent book Killing Patton.  We started it several weeks ago, listening in the truck while on the road.  But, we got out of the habit.  I moved the 7 disks inside so I can listen at convenient times.  It's a fascinating book, by the way. 


About a half hour before Ramsey and Kelsey were due to wake up Wednesday morning, it started raining.  I had thoughts of putting on their raincoats, sloshing through puddles on their morning walk, and otherwise having a lousy beginning to the day.  Fortunately, the rain stopped just as Ramsey came in to tell me to get up.  We ended up having a nice (quick) walk in just a slight drizzle.  It'll be a good morning, after all.  Later we visited the other dog park and had fun with some children who just had to pet the two Dalmatians.   


Between the dog walks and Becky's arrival 10:00AM, I spent the morning listening to more of Killing Patton.   Just before noon I left for my appointment with Kurt.  He made me stretch and introduced me to some weight work.  He wore me out, but it felt good.  The rest of the day was spent wrapping up our stay in Indio.  Tomorrow we return to Thousand Trails.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment