Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday, October 7, through Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Counting Down to Rome:


The weigh-in news Wednesday morning was not very good.  I lost only one pound this past week, netting 13 pounds overall.  Admittedly, Saturday and Sunday we cheated a bit so the news was not unexpected.  We'll continue the diet a while longer.  The plumbing news was good, though. Apparently, the drip has stopped.  Thank you, Sutton Plumbing.  We later discovered that the repair would have been covered by our home service contract, but we didn't even think of that at the time.  Oh, well.


On Thursday, Becky took Danielle Worthington and Carmen Rice to lunch at the Red Raven, our local favorite.  They were basically celebrating (a little late, of course) the anniversary of our having bought our house.  (Danielle was our broker and Carmen looks after the joint when we're gone.)  I was not invited to the party, since it was for girls only.


Friday was my day to attack a project I have wanted to do since we first saw the house.  The sliding doors on the front hall closet had never had a guide installed on the floor, so the doors swung forward and back when you slid them side-to-side.  It was very irritating.  In order to install the guide, I had to first cut a half inch off the bottom of each door. 


One of the reasons I had not approached the project previously was that I had no circular saw.  I finally bought one the last time I was at Home Depot.  Another reason was that I did not have a hammer drill, the kind that is excellent when drilling into tile and concrete, both of which make up our floors.  I bought a hammer drill several weeks ago but still needed the proper saw.  Now that I had both, I attacked the project---but I forgot to use the hammer drill.  Duh!  I have two more sets of closet doors to fix in the same way, so I'll remember the hammer drill next time.

Saturday was a football day, though UCLA had a bye.  (They're playing Stanford next Thursday.)  There were some fairly interesting games, but no blockbusters, so I really looked forward to Sunday.

The Saturday redbox movie was The Longest Ride, starring Scott Eastwood (Clint's son), Alan Alda, and a previously unknown actress, Britt Robertson (who will likely remain unknown). 


It's a strange movie, combining bull riding with Jewish suffering.  Not a fun combination.  It was from a book by Nicholas Sparks, who wrote The Notebook, among other best-selling novels.  I happened to like the film The Notebook, if only because of the presence of Rachel McAdams.      

On Sunday, Becky took the dogs to Sedona to go hiking with Laura Dillon, a co-worker of ours at the South Rim in 2007.


While they were gone, the only interesting game was Seattle vs. Cincinnati, which Cincinnati won in overtime after closing a 17-point fourth-quarter gap with a field goal on the final play of regular time.  Wow.

Monday morning, I had an appointment with Dr. Knutson, my Flagstaff dermatologist.  It was just a follow-up, to see if anything new (and bad) had appeared anywhere on my body.  She found a couple of tiny things she found interesting, and cut them out to send to the lab for testing. 

We realized on Monday that we will be leaving Williams in just two weeks for our big cruise.  It's getting really exciting to contemplate.   

Before I left for Flagstaff, Brian Mills, the painter we've been expecting for some time, arrived with his crew to start the project of re-oiling the outside of our house to repair the sun damage from several years of neglect. 


We also decided to darken the color a bit.  The project involved our house, the RV barn, and our back fence.  Brian and his gang set to work immediately, and finished in mid-afternoon on Tuesday.  The results are wonderful.  We're very happy. 


In doing the project, Brian moved our barbecue out of the way and put it in a different place when he finished.  It turns out we like the new location better, and will leave it there.

Tuesday night was the Democrat Party debate on CNN.  We recoded it but didn't watch it.  But, on Red Eye Tuesday night, the panel had a lot of fun talking about it.  It was hysterical to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment