Monday, March 7, 2016

Friday, March 4, through Thursday, March 10, 2016: Spring-like Weather Continues, For a While:


Friday we watched the end of the first season of House Of Cards.  Fun, and nasty, as usual. 


And on Saturday, we started watching the first season of Boss.  Among other things, Boss is particularly interesting because its star, Kelsey Grammer, plays a mean and thoroughly corrupt politician, in contrast to his character on Frasier.  I guess he's a pretty good actor, after all.  It's also fun to compare Boss with House Of Cards.

On Sunday we took the dogs with us on a field trip to Sedona, which is only 1 1/4 hours away. 


While Becky walked them through the downtown area, I had a beer while I read more of the Clarence Darrow book at the Oak Creek Brewery & Grill in the Tlaquepaque Shopping Center.  Becky then joined me there and we shared some seasoned fries with our drinks.


Sedona is beautiful, if very touristy, but it is fun to go there once in a while.  It was a nice diversion.


Sunday television was consumed with reporting on the death of Nancy Reagan.  While I adored Ronald Reagan and understand Nancy was an important part of his life and career, there is only so much fawning I can take.  I watched very old Closer re-runs instead.

On Monday, our great weather took a quick turn for the worse.  Suddenly the 50-60 degree weather turned to 30-40 degree weather, with wind adding to the change.  Starting in late afternoon it actually snowed, and the snow stuck to the ground even though the temperature was 43 degrees.


It's supposed to be back to "normal" on Tuesday.  It may have been, but we didn't spend enough time in Williams on Tuesday to find out.  Early on, we headed for Scottsdale (383 miles, roundtrip) for two reasons:  First, to go to the home of Gwen Pike to pick up some files from a probate matter I started in 1998 relating to her aunt (the matter has remained open this long for a good reason, but it's now time to shut it down)


and second, to take another look at Libby, the Dalmatian at Lucky Dog Rescue in Tempe.  At Gwen's, I quickly found the files I was looking for, so we had time to go to lunch at the Grassroots Kitchen, a terrific place in Scottsdale, where the three of us (Becky was with us) all had the same delicious Club House salad. 


We hadn't seen Gwen on some years, and it was fun to catch up.  She's a very nice woman.

Then we had a great visit with Libby, through the auspices of Lucky Dog Rescue.  She was as terrific as last time, and almost as lively.  She got along very well with Ramsey and Kelsey (for the most part they ignored each other) and we think they will work out just fine together in our home.  Last time, she was considered (by the lady from LDR, not by us) to be too dominant. 


This time we didn't see it, deciding that she had not been too dominant, just glad to have someone to interact with.  We sent a note to Lisa, the LDR lady, suggesting that we were ready to make a deal.  We'll see.

Wednesday, I went to see Dr. Boettcher for our periodic visit to assess my healing from the December surgery.  He was pleased.  I can't see the surgery site since most of it is behind my left ear, so I have no opinion. 


After seeing him, I took the truck to Jiffy Lube for its regular "Signature Service."  The truck now has more than 277, 000 miles on it and I don't want to risk breaking the pattern that I believe is most responsible for the its lasting so long. Since there's a good chance we'll be getting Libby on Friday, I then went to PetSmart to get her a name tag.  I  wouldn't want her to feel like an orphan.

Thursday was a mostly relaxing day after my previous day in Flagstaff.  I really don't have a lot of  stamina these days.  Something about getting older, I guess.  While on a walk in the neighborhood, the dogs went to say Hello to a couple of Great Danes.




       

No comments:

Post a Comment