Sunday, June 26, 2016

Saturday, June 25, through Friday, July 1, 2016: Suddenly, Things Are Different:


Saturday I started feeling better than I had been, but it was not an earth-shattering improvement.  I did not expect to be running a marathon immediately, and I am taking one day at a time.  Saturday evening, we had pasta for dinner and watched a few episodes of The Americans.  It's still very entertaining, and we look forward to more.

Sunday morning, we hopped into the hot tub before breakfast, and once again Becky forgot her bathing suit.  I didn't. 


It was a lot easier for me to climb into and out of the tub, so it's apparent the Friday treatment and the new drug supplements are having a positive effect.  I am feeling a lot more energetic, though I'm still well below par.

After the hot tub, I made myself s batch of Ebbert Fizzes for no particular reason.  Great.  And I whiled away most of the afternoon---finishing The Secret Servant---



while Becky did her thing with Ramsey, Kelsey, and Libby.  Our late afternoon redbox movie was 10 Cloverfield Lane, a weird but watchable movie starring John Goodman as a bad man.

Monday was my birthday, of course, and I spent it in the usual way:  I watched the dogs sleep while Becky went to Flagstaff to get a haircut for herself and a lube job (at Jiffy Lube) for the truck.  We had dinner at Kicks On Route 66.   I had delicious Chicken Marsala.  Yum.  Becky had Pork Ribs.  Our wonderful server was Joline.  She was training a new employee.


Monday afternoon, a 23-year old hiker slipped and fell from Mather Point at the canyon, and died.  Sad.

Tuesday morning we headed for Flagstaff  (in warm and dry weather) and Dr. Ben Stark for dental (cleaning) appointments.  It's a good thing we left some extra time because I-40 was essentially shut down for a while to clear a nasty accident. 


We made it on time, though, even braving an unexpected rainstorm in and near Flagstaff, and had the usual good time with our dentist and his staff. 


The flip side was, though, that Dr. Stark discovered a problem that will require that I get two new crowns---and soon.  ($$$$)  That's OK.  I haven't had to have any real dental work done for almost 30 years.  It's about time. 

We returned to Williams, which by then was drizzling rain, without incident, and each of us had leftovers from last night's dinner for lunch.  That was enough to preclude having a full dinner Tuesday evening.

Wednesday was an expensive day.  Becky wasn't feeling well so I was deputized to take Kelsey to the vet.  Backing out of the garage, I felt something was wrong with the truck. A block later I decided to check the tires.  The right-rear tire was flat as a pancake. 


I called Becky and had her change the vet appointment while I waited for the AAA man.  Melvin arrived (from two miles away) 30 minutes later and changed the tire.  I followed him to the tire store in town and met with the fellow I normally deal with there, "J. J."  We decided on the replacement tires (both rear tires had less than the safe minimum tread left) and I was on my way shortly.  But, the owner of the shop did not let me go without first pointing out (accurately) that the front tires were not in such good condition either.  They both had bad wear patterns and little tread.  Since we are driving to southern California in a couple of weeks, he recommended replacing those tires now, as well.


I demurred, suggesting that I needed to discuss it with my wife (a weak husband's common excuse).  I related the conversation to Becky when I got home, and she immediately sent me back to the tire store to replace the front tires (and front shock absorbers, as well, which, after 283,000 miles on the factory shocks were part of the wear problem).  And I need to get the wheels aligned when I am next in Flagstaff.  In recognition of the cost of the day so far, we had toasted cheese sandwiches for dinner.

My health continues to improve, and I'm not as tired or winded as I was previously.



Thursday morning, Becky took Kelsey to the vet for a quick maintenance appointment, then hustled off to Natanya for a 1.5-hour massage.  As usual, the other dogs slept the entire time she was gone.  The weather was overcast and slightly drizzly, so I spent most of the day just keeping warm and relaxing.  I slipped out to Safeway in the late afternoon to pick up a chicken for dinner.

Friday was a normal, overcast day, in what has become a brief monsoon season in the area.  (It's usually in August.) 


The big news of the day was another terrorist attack---this time in Bangladesh, right on the heels of the attack at the Istanbul airport..  They are happening more often now. 

Our Friday Netflix movie was the delightful Pride And Prejudice, the 2005 British (naturally) film with a terrific cast headed by Donald Sutherland, with Brenda Blethyn, Judi Dench, and the absolutely adorable quartet of Keira Knightley, Rosamund Pike, Carey Mulligan, and Kelly Reilly.  





No comments:

Post a Comment