Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wednesday, December 2, through Wednesday, December 9, 2015: The Next Surgery:


Wednesday morning, bright and not too early, Becky took off for the morning walk with Ramsey and Kelsey, and I had a long phone conversation with Bill Wheeler about the problems they're having with their motor home.  It's possible they will have to replace the engine, which would be at a ridiculous cost.  They may know more this afternoon.  The rest of the day involved a lot of puttering around.


Wednesday night, I slipped and fell in the bathroom---and landed on my nose.  I now have two slightly black eyes and one very red and swollen nose.  Becky says I look like Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull.


On Thursday, Becky decided it was time to get serious about Christmas.  We brought in the boxes of decorations we've been carrying around or storing for 13 years.  Since we had such limited room in our trailer, we couldn't use more than a few of the items in the boxes.  With our house, we have virtually unlimited space. Becky started the task; it was fun seeing some of the items for the first time in many years.  She's had a few of them for more than 40 years. 


On Friday, we bought a decorated (fake) tree at the hardware store and installed it outside the front door since we have no usable corners in the living room.  It's better outside anyway, so it can be seen and enjoyed by passersby.


Through the hardware store I found a local guy, Jim Winbourn, to put lights on one of the pine trees in our front yard.  He came on Saturday.  The lights look great!  We'll keep them on (about 6 hours a day) through the whole holiday season. 


Saturday was the day for conference champions to be determined in college football.  I was particularly looking forward to the Big-10 game (Michigan State/Iowa) and the Pac-12 game (Stanford/USC).  Everything turned out as I had hoped.  Michigan State beat Iowa and Stanford beat USC.  I had no eyeballs left at the end of the day.


Sunday was another football day.  At this point, all I care about is the Arizona Cardinals.  They won, and that's great.  We also put a few more Christmas decorations up around the house.

We also watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E., based on the old TV series.  I didn't much like it and walked away to putter.  Becky hung in there and watched the whole thing, and enjoyed it.


Monday was an ordinary day of Becky's walking dogs and my killing time reading and doing crossword puzzles.  Tuesday involved a trip to Flagstaff for a haircut for me and a little shopping.  We also picked up dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant there, Pato Thai.  Yum!  The elephant in the room is my surgery taking place on Wednesday.  Although I've been through the same surgery twice this year already, it's still a little unnerving to have to do it again---so soon.

On Wednesday I arrived at the Flagstaff Medical Center at 10:30 and started the three-hour pre-op procedure. 


I'm used to it, and it's boring, so I just did crossword puzzles while Becky and the dogs ran errands.  Promptly at 1:30, the designated time for the surgery, they wheeled me into the operating room and the anesthesiologist informed me that I would soon go to sleep.  I did.  The next thing I remember, of course, was waking up.  I was in no particular pain but I was a little disoriented.  The nurses were a little concerned about my oxygen level, not realizing that it's always a bit low.  After a bit of conversation about pain levels, it was decided (not by me) that I should spend the night at the hospital, rather than go home which was the original plan. 


I spent an uncomfortable night, for to reasons:  1) Because they woke me every 15 minutes for the first four hours, and then every 30 minutes,to check my vital signs, and 2) Because somewhere along the way I got a bruise on my butt.           




 

No comments:

Post a Comment